What’s The Dish?
My own creation for Mediterranean Sausage Stew. Serves 3.
Verdict (Recipe Below)
So obviously I think this is good as I make it all the time and it’s my own adaptation of other similar recipes. But it is perfect for batch cooking, freezes well and is great to take to work for weekday lunches. It’s also super healthy with tonnes of veg, cheap to make per portion and there’s only one pan to wash up!
x6 good quality pork sausages
x1 red pepper chopped
x1 large or x2 small white onions chopped / sliced
Handful of mushrooms chopped, any type, chestnut work well
x1 tin chopped tomatoes
x1 400g tin cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
200ml boiling water
x1 or 2 garlic cloves crushed
Salt, pepper, parsley, any other herbs / spices you want to add
Parmesan to serve
1. Prick the sausages in several places with a knife, then fry in a large high sided saucepan or a large wok in a tiny bit of olive oil until browned on the outside. Take out of the pan and set aside. Cut the sausages into slices / chunks (about 5 per sausage).
2. In the same pan, fry off the pepper, onions & mushrooms until slightly softened. Add in the crushed garlic. Add the sausages back into the pan and stir everything through so the sausages are almost thoroughly cooked on the inside.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes, boiling water and cannellini beans to the pan and stir. Season with salt, pepper, parsley and any other herbs / spices you want to use (I have an amazing New Orleans spice mix that I add about 1 tsp of). Stir everything through.
4. Simmer on the hob with no lid for about 20 -30 mins, stirring now and again until the sauce has thickened.
5. To serve, I like to sprinkle Parmesan on top to finish. This recipe is also great with a slice of bread and butter to mop up the sauce! Enjoy.